HOWARD GARDNER MI CHARTER SCHOOL
Business Manager Job Description
Overview of the Role
The Business Manager serves in an administrative position reporting to the CEO and oversees the financial, human resource, data management and purchasing functions for the School. The Business Manager ensures that all Board-approved policies are implemented and that timely and accurate compliance with external agencies occurs.
1. Prepares Monthly Financial and Enrollment information for CEO and for Board presentation.
2. With the CEO, prepares the Annual Budget that reflects the priorities of the School and is finalized for board review and approval in a timely manner.
3. Prepares weekly actual to budget revenue/expense reports for the CEO
4. Prepares and submits timely, accurate district billing based upon verified enrollment data.
5. Maintains internal financial controls and monitors cash management practices.
6. Prepares annual financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles; maintains fixed asset schedule.
7. Coordinates the annual audit; prepares materials for auditors.
8. Oversees all service contracts and coordinates periodic bidding process.
9. Coordinates employee health and pension benefits, reconciles monthly billing.
10. Reviews insurance plans and recommends improvements as needed; works with CEO, brokers and agents to monitor costs and coverage of all insurance plans.
11. Ensures compliance with employee-related legislative requirements, e.g. FLSA, FMLA, COBRA
12. Ensures compliance with IRS, state, local authorities, e.g. payroll tax reporting, 990 preparation.
13. Maintains general ledger, monthly bank reconciliations, bank transfers, credit card records.
14. Administers financial management system; establishes or improves institutional data systems.
15. Monitors the management of the PIMS system.
16. Establishes purchasing procedures, monitors vendors used, and expenses incurred; ensures that all purchase requests are approved by the CEO, or assigned delegate.
Qualifications and Experience
• Business degree in finance or accounting; CPA preferred or demonstrated experience with GAAP
• At least five years business management experience, preferably in a not-for-profit setting.
• Experience in managing employee benefits and knowledge of human resource practices.
• Extensive experience in working with spreadsheets and databases.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work in a collaborative and team environment.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills; demonstrated experience in producing timely and accurate reports.
• Experience in making presentations and presenting data/information in an effective manner.
• Supports and values public charter education; state clearances required.
• Enjoys working in a K-8 school environment and has a sense of humor.