The following positions are currently available for the 2013-2014 school year:
Elementary Principal/Chief Academic Officer
The Howard Gardner MI Charter School features a child-centered approach to education that recognizes the potential of each child and attempts to develop this potential in an individualized program by means of a carefully prepared and guided environment and the considerations of varying learning styles.
- Valid Administrator certification required
- Meets Pennsylvania licensure requirements
- Meets Master’s degree in educational leadership or related field from a regionally accredited university
- Minimum 5 years of administrative experience preferred
- Experience as a Principal or Assistant Principal preferred
- Successful experience as a teacher
- Exemplary oral and written skills
- Exemplary reputation in school and community.
Ensures the achievement of educational and social-emotional needs of pre K through middle school age children; creates excellent conditions for teaching and learning; improves student achievement and parent satisfaction; and engages community support.
- Demonstrates knowledge and appreciation for creating a school using a constructivist, framework based on the theory of multiple intelligences.
- Establishes and maintains an effective learning climate in the school.
- Leads the implementation of the strategic plan to meet and exceed the measurable goals for the Charter School.
- Apprises the Board of Directors on matters related to administration, instruction, events and activities.
- Prepares and manages the school’s budget, ensuring sound and responsible management of the school’s financial resources.
- Steers fundraising initiatives.
- Supervises the maintenance of all required building records and reports.
- Prepares and oversees the preparation of reports and other documents for which the CAO is responsible.
- Assumes responsibility for observance of Board policies and regulations.
- Maintains active relationships with students and families.
- Leads the ongoing development of the instructional program and student activities programs.
- Establishes a master schedule to ensure compliance with instructional time requirements and Charter School’s specific specialized MI programs.
- Maintains high standards of student conduct and enforces the Code of Student Conduct firmly, fairly, and consistently in total compliance with due process procedures.
- Designs and carries out a comprehensive student activities program to recognize student achievement and to create opportunities for student participation in school sponsored organizations.
- Supervises the maintenance of accurate records of student progress and attendance.
- Assumes responsibility for professional growth and development through: membership and participation in the affairs of professional organizations; attendance at regional, state, and national meetings; enrollment in advanced courses; the reading of professional journals and other leadership and management publications; and discussion about problems of mutual interest with colleagues in the field.
- Supervises professional, paraprofessional, administrative, and non-professional personnel of the Charter School.
- Recruits, screens, hires, trains, assigns and evaluates the school’s faculty and staff.
- Evaluates and counsels all staff members regarding individual and group performance.
- Conducts staff meetings to keep members informed about policy changes and new programs or initiatives,
- Creates a school culture in which collaboration and collegiality guide relationships and decision making.
- Supervises and evaluates the school’s extracurricular programs.
- Assumes responsibility for all official correspondence and news releases approved by the Board.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with local community groups and individuals.
- Serves as a member of committees and attends meetings as directed by the Board.
- Delegates responsible personnel to assume responsibility for the school in the absence of the Principal.
Send letter of interest, resume, transcripts, credentials Act 34, 114, and 151 clearances, and PA cert. by December 20 to: Renee Dougherty, Director of HR, 1615 E. Elm St. Scranton, PA 18505 and to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Substitute Teachers – HGMICS is seeking substitute teachers for all grade levels. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and copy of their clearances to the email listed below.
Applications should be directed by email to: email@example.com Please include any attachments in MS Word or PDF format.
Applications may also be mailed to:
Renee Dougherty, HR Manager
Howard Gardner MI Charter School
1615 East Elm Street
Scranton, PA 18505